katekintailbc: (Book review)
[personal profile] katekintailbc

Nonprofit
by Matt Burriesci


I have a difficult time reviewing books by people I know. In this case, it's not because I don't like it but because I loved it so much and I don't want to sound like I only loved it because I had "insider knowledge" about this book. Matt used to be my boss at AWP (a nonprofit) before he got a job at another organization (a nonprofit). And it's not hard to see how his experiences influenced this book. In fact, I'd heard Matt tell a version of the story that the book opens with, so seeing this version in print made me crack up while sitting in the allergist's waiting room where I was reading it. I got a lot of strange looks as I laughed and shrieked with recognition.

The main character, John MacManus, is immediately sympathetic; it was impossible to be on his side through all his ups and downs. He is hired as executive director of an organization that he finds out is millions of dollars in debt and has been for years. At this point, there's possibly no saving it, but John tries. The problem is, the board is full of crazy people completely in denial. John realizes his best bet is to get fired... and one of the board members hates him... so you'd think it would be easy--it isn't. On top of this, he's going through problems at home. He and his wife wish to conceive, but in order to do so, he has to undergo an operation and his wife needs to undergo expensive insemination procedures. This of course requires money and health insurance, which he can't have if he gets fired. So John is struggling to start a family, hold a job on a sinking ship, and make a life for himself in a new city. How can you not sympathize with the guy?

I am not used to books told in the second person. I encounter it a bit in literary fiction. Sometimes it works for me, other times it is painful, like the author is trying to get artistic. But this time it definitely works. It presents an intimacy that drew me right into the drama. There are also some interesting sections that break up the narrative a bit. There's a chapter that's a full biography of an eccentric gay Hispanic writer who is neither gay nor Hispanic but who the literary organization board members demand John get to speak at their annual benefit.

The characters and story are both amazing. I came to love one or two of the board members. I came to HATE a few of the other characters; they make so much trouble for John! Especially the party planner--ooohhh I wanted to see her fired! But that's not "how it works in Washington." The only character I didn't get a great sense of was his wife; the back cover talks about all of this straining his relationship with her, which I didn't get at all. The whole time she seemed perfect and loving and supportive and normal in contrast to everything else he was going through. But we never see any of her faults and all we really get is that they love each other and he's willing to do whatever it takes to start a family with her. That says a bit about her character, but not too much. The writers feel like writers. The rich Washingtonians feel like rich Washingtonians. The "historically poor and disadvantaged" in Anacostia feel like black school kids and teachers in Anacosia. (I really liked that chapter, by the way, and the idea of the literary organization insisting and brand new books for kids who aren't used to getting anything new.

With short chapters, the book is easy to read and the pacing moves it right along from drama to drama. Knowing the author, I knew what was going to happen during the benefit (because it's something that happened at our conference). But that didn't make it any less satisfying or enjoyable. I actually wanted a bit more to the story, but resolving more of the plotlines was unnecessary, and there was a beauty in focusing not on wrapping up loose ends in a pretty bow and just making the knot, letting the metaphors and situations get to the point that they got to and then walking away to make a statement. I don't read a lot of literary fiction, so I'm used to the pretty bows in my fiction; I also wanted more just because I liked John and just selfishly wanted more of his adventures.

I strongly recommend this book. It's a car accident you're meant to enjoy indulging in as a spectator.

July 2019

S M T W T F S
 1 23456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 18th, 2026 11:10 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios